In order to use motorways in Bulgaria z you need to buy a vignette. Since 2019 the e-vignette is obligatory so you don’t have to fill in the vignette and stick it to your window. We had a chance to test the new system in May. I will explain you everything you should know about vignettes in Bulgaria step by step. How much does the vignette cost? Where can you buy it?
Is vignette obligatory in Bulgaria?
The vignette is obligatory in Bulgaria if you use national roads. Actually that means that whenever you are driving outside the city, you will need a vignette.
Types of vignettes in Bulgaria
The type of vignette depends on the type of vehicle you drive. The vignette is not necessary for motorcycles for example. If you drive a car up to 3.5 t you can choose from the following types of vignettes:
– weekend – valid from Friday 12 p.m. to Sunday 11:59 p.m.
– weekly – valid for 7 days from the day of purchase (it doesn’t matter at what time you buy the vignette. The day of purchase counts as he first day of its validity. If you buy the vignette on the 1st of August, it will be valid until 7th August 11:59 p.m.)
– monthly – valid from the day of purchase until one day before purchasing in the following month (if you buy the vignette on the 20th July, it will be valid until 19th of August 11:59 p.m.)
– quarterly – valid from the day of purchase until one before purchasing 3 months later (if you buy the vignette on the 20th of July, it will be valid until 19th of October 11:59 p.m.)
– yearly – valid from the day of purchase until one day before purchasing next year (if you buy the vignette on the 20th of July 2019, it will be valid until the 19th of July 2020 11:59 p.m.)
How much does the vignette in Bulgaria cost?
The prices for vignettes in Bulgaria for a car up to 3.5 t are as follows:
- 1 weekend – 10 lev (5.11 euro)
- 1 week – 15 lev (7.67 euro)
- 1 month – 30 lev (15.34 euro)
- 1 quarter – 54 lev (27.6 euro)
- 1 year – 97 lev (49.6 euro)
Where can I buy the vignette?
E-vignette valid from January 2019 can be purchased:
– on a website of BGToll
– through BGToll mobile application
– through self-service terminals in the offices of the Road Infrastructure Agency
– at the points of sale and in the regional road administrations of the Road Infrastructure Agency
You can buy the vignette 30 days before the first day of its validity. We recommend buying the vignette on the BGToll website. You can pay for via credit card or bank transfer and the whole process takes only few minutes. In May 2019 we bought the vignette right before crossing the border.
I don’t have the vignette – what to do?
The vignette is obligatory in Bulgaria. Since the e-vignette was introduced, cameras verify whether you have purchased the vignette or not. According to the information provided by BGToll currently there are 300 stationary cameras on Bulgarian roads. The chances to avoid the fine for not having the vignette, are very low.
Fine for not having the vignette
It’s worth to mention that not buying the vignette is an infringement and the person committing it is a subject for fine. The fine for not purchasing the e-vignette depends on the type of vehicle and it is from 300 up to 1800 lev (from 153 up to 2,045 euro). For cars up to 3.5 t it’s usually 300 lev.
However, since 2019 there is also a possibility of paying compensatory fee instead. It’s a fee for using paid roads that is paid voluntarily during the roadside check or at the border crossing point. If you pay it within 14 days from the determination of infringement, you don’t have to pay a higher fine and you are exempt of administrative criminal liability. To sum up, the compensatory fee is higher than the price of the vignette but it’s much lower than the regular fine.